This file part of www.dodgejeffgen.com website

One-Room School Houses of Dodge County. An online eBook

 

Pin Hill School

District # 2

Fox Lake Township

 

Year

Ending

Teacher

Year

Ending

Teacher

 

1901

 

1940

Angeline Hornung

1902

Alice D. Jones

1941

1903

 

1942

Henrietta Sheskey

1904

Charlotte Blake

1943

1905

 

1944

1906

Margaret Williams

1945

1907

David C. Thayer

1946

1908

Katherine Williams

1947

Mrs. Ruth LaFave

1909

1948

Mrs. Edna Davies

1910

Letitia J. Jones

1949

1911

1950

Mrs. Jeanette Wiersma

1912

Ida J. Allen

1951

1913

1952

1914

1953

Mrs. Beula Moldenhauer

1915

Phoebe Stroud

1954

1916

Ida J. Allen

1955

1917

Nellie McCarthy

1956

& Bernice Johnson

1918

Joined w/Alto

1919

 

 

1920

 

 

1921

Nina E. Lovejoy

 

 

1922

 

 

1923

 

 

1924

Henrietta Klettke

 

 

1925

 

 

1926

Alice Kamp

 

 

1927

 

 

1928

Inez M. Fisher

 

 

1929

 

 

1930

 

 

1931

Hilma Grahn

 

 

1932

 

 

1933

Inez M. Fisher

 

 

1934

 

 

1935

 

 

1936

Mrs. Alice Hammer

 

 

1937

 

 

1938

 

 

1939

Angeline Hornung

 

 

 

 

Click thumbnail so to enlarge

 

 

 

PIN HILL SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 2

About 1851 a log schoolhouse stood between Charles Rabehl and William Davis's farm on the Blaencae Road. Farms are now owned by Bartelt and Bronkhorst This building was also used for church services.

 

Later a school was built below the Gus Lehman home; Nell McCarthy taught there in 1916. The enrollment was 56 pupils. This was the last year in the old schoolhouse. In 1917 the old Welsh Church was purchased and remodeled into the present Pin Hill School. Source: Fox Lake Library

 

PIN HILL MEMORIES

Gloria Pollesch recalled that as a first grader she was very afraid of Santa Claus and Grace Wanilista Eager held her on her lap.

 

Another honored guest was Mrs. Leona Weber a former teacher of Lake Emily School. When she retired from the Markesan Public System she was instrumental in starting the Markesan Historical Society.

 

In addition to area towns guests attended from Glendale. Wautoma Manitowoc, New Holstein, Clintonville, Milwaukee, Greendale, Wild Rose, Hartford, Fort Atkinson, Oshkosh and Ripon.

 

After many fond good-bys the celebration began to break up about 3 o'clock with all proclaiming "a good time was had by all."

 

 

Left to right: Joann Hein, Donald Wackett, Curtis Lehman, Larry Wackett, Gary Braun, Ronald Paul, Karen Hein.

Bottom row: Martin Neilsen, Mickey Smith, Mike Hem, Lee Valentine, Dennis Braun, Mildred Gaber, Elisabeth Frederick

 

 

The early Welch settlers came to the area in the 1840s. A log building was built for a school located on the Blaencae Road, about three fourth mile west from the corner of County A. The area was surveyed and in 1851 the first deeds were recorded at the abstract office in the Dodge County seat of Juneau. During this time of the original plotting of the area, the state designated certain quarter sections of each township to be the location of the school house. The quarter section of land designated for school purposes was purchased by Gust Lehmann in 1907. The first recorded location for a school house was located one quarter mile west of the intersection of County A and F, on County F. This was the school until 1917. In 1917 Nel McCarthy was the teacher and there were 56 students.

 

The year 1889 a plot of ground located on the corner of County A & F within this same quarter section was deeded to the Welch Calvinistic Methodist Church where they built a new church building. This congregation had been located in a building by the Lake Emily cemetery. They used this building on the corner of County A & F until 1917 when the school district purchased it.

 

It is interesting to note that the name of this school is a derivation from the Celtic "Penyrhill" which meant "top of the Hill." Other nationalities who settled in that neighborhood later found the Welsh words hard to pronounce and their attempts resulted in several derivations. Gust Lehman is the one credited with changing the name to Pin Hill.

 

 

Pin Hill School, 1948-1949

Mrs. Edna Davies was the teacher

Front, kneeling: Mary Pollesh, Carol Pollesh,

Second row, kneeling: Shelly Pollesh, Don Wachett, __?__, Curt Lehman, Frank DeVries, Mick Smith, Morey DeVries

Third row: Mildred Davies, Gloria Polleal, Arla Schnulle, Barb Kraft, John Lehman, __?__, Ron Smith, Ted DeVries

Back row: Ken Pollesh, Darrekk Pollesh, Carl Graham, Jim DeVries, Don DeVries

 

 

Left to Right: Cathy Wackett, Kristine Lehman, Linda Kraft, Ken Paul

Kindergarten at Pin Hill?

Children who would be starting first grade would come for an afternoon or more

and sit with an older brother or sister so to get used to school.

The teacher would have something for them to do.

This picture is of the preschool children on stage at the 1953 Christmas program.

 

 

1953-1954

Mrs. Beulah Moldenhauer, teacher

Front Row: Kenny W., Larry Smith, Christine Lehman, Linda Kraft

Middle Row: Dennis Braun, Phyllis Frederick, Lee Valentine, Michael Smith, Kenneth Paul

Back Row: Larry Nackett, Curtiss, Lehman, Floyd Nackett, Ronald Paul, Elizabeth Frederick, Gary Braun

 

 

FoxLakePlat.jpg